When I started running, the most helpful pieces of information I learnt was the difference between discomfort and pain. Discomfort is a long-term struggle that builds up over time; you can run through this, as far as you can, because this indicates growth and pushing past limitations. Pain is a short, sharp feeling that comes on suddenly; it ought to cause you to stop. Running through this is detrimental and will lead to further, long-term injury. However, we’re very quick to interpret discomfort as pain, we don’t push through, and we never gain.
And so, with life.
This week’s episode is all about discomfort and staying present through it all. Growth is an uncomfortable process but, so often, we misinterpret discomfort as a reason to not continue with something. Leaning into discomfort lends itself to learning from our discomfort. When the challenges in life come our way, we can either go through it, or grow through it. The choice lies in how much we choose to stay present, stay aware, and not take the easy route out.
If you’re enjoying the She Uncensored podcast, please consider leaving a review on Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts. Share with folks you know, and keep on keeping on.
(PS: Here’s the painting.)
Episode 27: Feeling uncomfortable? Maybe it's a sign you're growing. – She Uncensored
- Episode 27: Feeling uncomfortable? Maybe it's a sign you're growing.
- Episode 26: There's No Such Thing As Wrong Decisions; Just Be Here Now.
- Episode 25: Getting Out Of Your Comfort Zone and Aligning Your Life
- Episode 24: What To Do When You're Tired Of Adulting
- Episode 23: How To Love Yourself (Especially The Bits You Don't Like)